CAMERAS > MEOPTA
Meopta Prerov traces its origins back to the year 1933 when the company Optikotechna was established in Prerov, Czech Republic. Initially, Optikotechna produced lenses and condensers but quickly expanded its product line to include enlargers, composite lenses, single optics, binoculars, riflescopes, slide projectors and of course the well known Flexaret range of TLR cameras.
By 1936, Optikotechna established new facilities to accomodate the rapid expansion of its operations, necessary to meet the growing demand for its products. During World War II, Optikotechna was forced to surrender control of its production to the German army. This change effectively stopped the production of all non-military products. After the war, the remaning company was renamed Meopta and a number of new products were designed and developed.
However, in 1971 production was again refocused primarily on military products and continued this way until it was abruptly ended in 1989. The sales of military products which had up until then represented about 75% of Meopta´s business, was reduced to zero.
In 1991, Meopta completed its first step toward privatization when it was established as a joint stock company. The company was formed by a single act in accordance with the founding plan of the state enterprise Meopta Prerov, s.p. On March 21, 1991, Meopta was registered in the companies register at the District Court in Ostrava. Today, Meopta currently occupies a 135.000 m2 and has around 2,400 employees.